Written by Stephanie C.
We all know that dogs and cats can be super nosey around the house when you’re not looking. A lot of common household items are extremely poisonous to your pet including cleaning supplies, medications, indoor plants and even human food.
While we can’t list every single item, there are more common things that cause toxicity.
The most common foods:
Certain peanut butters or anything with the ingredient Xylitol. Xylitol is a sugar supplement and is in a lot of items that are “Sugar free”.
Chocolate – the darker it is, the worse it is for your pet.
Onions can cause anemia.
Caffeine raises heartrate and can be fatal. (Watch out for teabags and coffee grinds in the trash can.)
Grapes and raisins can cause renal failure.
Warning about medications:
Just because a medication will help you with pain, doesn’t mean it’s the best for your pet. Aspirin should only be given to your pet if the dosage is corrected by a vet. Aspirin can easily cause intestinal bleeding. Cats should never be given aspirin. Certain vitamins can also cause stomach bleeding. Also, make sure you give the proper flea and tick medication to the right pet. A lot of calls to poison control are relating to giving a cat medication that is prescribed for a dog. Also, don’t forget to check and make sure the weight on the box is the right weight for your pet.
There’s an app for that!
APCC App will tell you a lot about what your pet can and cannot have and what to do it they do ingest something toxic.
A great list of toxins and what to look for when your pet ingests them:
Top 10 Human Medications Poisonous to Pets
Top 5 Feline Toxins
Spring Time Toxins Newsletter – Plants
Here is a list of plants that are harmful to your pet. At TLC Animal Hospital, we have seen issues with “lilies”, the “sago palm”, “azalea”, “yesterday, today, and tomorrow”, and even “dumbcane”.
Here is another great collective list of plants that bloom in the spring time that can be harmful to your pet.
Mushrooms and toxins
All wild mushrooms should be considered toxic until otherwise proven. Keep an eye on your pet when you go for walks at night and in the morning. We have treated a few mushroom toxicities here at the clinic in the past. It’s very hard to determine the toxic level of mushrooms because the fungi can have different toxic levels depending on its environment. Cyclopeptides, in particular Amanita’s (Death Cap), are the most common mushroom to cause fatalities in pets and in humans. Here’s a list of the most common toxic mushrooms along with photos for your reference.
Pets and Marijuana
We have seen cases in our clinic when a dog has ingested marijuana. The hardest part of these cases is getting the owners to admit that is what is causing the dogs reaction. The best thing you can do is to let your vet know exactly what happened. We can better help your pet when we have an idea of what we’re treating and what you can expect. If this is ever the case, please be forthcoming with your veterinarian.